Green Fact of the Month
Freezers can be colder than their set temperature. At the BMC, freezers set at -21°C were observed to be at temperatures as low as -27°C. The lower the actual temperature of a freezer, the more energy it consumes.
What we can do
To prevent unnecessary cooling and ensure appropriate sample storage, measure the freezer temperature with a thermometer and adjust the freezer settings accordingly.
1. Temperature and energy consumption measurement of freezers at the BMC
Created with BioRender.com
Further icons: Freezer icons created by Smashicons - Flaticon; Freezer icons created by Freepik - Flaticon; Cold icons created by Freepik - Flaticon; Thermometer icons created by Freepik - Flaticon; Defrost icons created by Freepik - Flaticon; Low temperature icons created by IconBaandar - Flaticon; Defrost icons created by Freepik - Flaticon; Freezing icons created by Freepik - Flaticon
- Freezer temperature and energy consumption (199 KByte)
- greenfact_april2023 (610 KByte)
- greenfact_feb2023 (633 KByte)
- greenfact_jan2023 (300 KByte)
- greenfact_march2023 (881 KByte)
- greenfact_may2023 (400 KByte)
- PETrecycling_atBMC (2 MByte)